Facebook is a platform recognised by many, but at the moment in the marketing world, it is a bit of a dry land.
One trending idea is to reinvent your personal account. With business accounts dipping slightly, this may be the perfect way to step up your marketing game.
If this is a great idea, what’s stopping everyone from doing it?
Believe it or not, people find it quite terrifying when faced with the idea of posting about their products and services on their personal Facebook. Many people worry that their change in content will annoy their followers.
With old school friends, random family members, and the odd business connection, it can seem quite a random bunch of people to pitch to, and can seem a bit silly. We get that.
But what if we told you there’s a way to avoid posting loads of business content to your Auntie Lisa or second cousin Mike without blocking them?
Well, here’s your answer: Facebook Custom Lists…
Custom lists allow you to post content to only certain followers – see it as a way to separate and segment them into appropriate groups.
This works further than just avoiding certain contact in your followers list. Let’s say you have a company with two different products – one aimed at older people, and the other at teenagers. When posting about things such as retirement or hip replacements, you may want to avoid the 18 year olds following your account if they unfollow, feeling it’s not the page for them.
This is when custom lists come in handy. By creating a custom list of followers over the age of 60, you can promote your product to those interested in that particular retirement hobby or joint pain relief. Although the posts will be shareable, you can actually target your different audiences.
So you’re sold. But how do you make these lists and post them? Again Admire have you covered. Here’s our step to step guide.
Creating a list.
- On the home page, find the menu, which looks like three horizontal lines on top of each other. Once this pops up, click on ‘Friends’.
- Once you’ve done this, on the left side still you should see ‘Custom Lists’. Click on this title.
- Here you will be able to view all of your custom lists. At the bottom of all these, there will be a plus icon, with the words ‘Create List’. Click on this title.
- Once this list is created, you can edit it. You can do this by opening the list, and clicking on the three little dots at the top right. From here, you can edit the list, delete the list or even change the title.
Posting to a list.
- Go to create a post as usual
- Under your name on the post, there should be an icon saying ‘friends’ or ‘public’. This is who the post is going to.
- To ensure your list is going to your custom list, press the icon, and all your custom lists will be displayed.
- Click on your desired list, write your content out and post!
There you are – simple as that!